Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Evolution in ten words

The original question was 'If you had 10 words or less, what would you have the public master about evolutionary theory?' although most people interpreted this as defining evolution in 10 words.

Either way it is entertaining and educational.

I like the answer here that makes a good point about evolution by explaining what would happen in its absence.

I'm curious whether anyone is reading this and whether the comments are working. So do me a favor and post a comment if you find a particularly amusing or educational 10 words or have come up with one of your own.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Blogger Admin said...

I have not sat down to read these yet, since my computer has not yet been brought here to Berkeley =P, but I have been checking here for updates. I shall think up of 10 words tonight and reply again tomorrow.

By the way, can you post the titles/authors of the two books you mentioned in class today? Thanks.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Razib Khan said...

i already posted. but your comments work.

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been reading the blog; I also found a little 'evolution' blurb on the net that entertained. "Your mutant children are better than you."

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Admin said...

safeway: ingredients for life
evolution: ingredient of life


I just thought up of that one now...my original was:

Things reproduce, and with it comes evolutionary change.

Safeway proposes the idea that their produce and meats and what not are fresh and healthful and if we go there we can find enormous quantities of goodies for ourselves. But without evolution, things would not even be. First off, literally all the items in Safeway would disappear, and secondly, we'd all be little microscopic organisms with no purpose in life but to reproduce as rapidly as we can =D

Living things reproduce. As my former biology teacher said, life consists of eating, sleeping, and having sex, all of which is ultimately for passing on the species. But for this to happen, indeed we need a way to change, and the evolutionary theory applies. Again, we wouldn't be here otherwise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home