Monday, July 03, 2006

4th of July

Today's the Fourth of July
Another June has gone by
And when they light up our town I just think
What a waste of gun powder and sky.
(Aimee Mann - 4th of July)

I have to confess I'm really not very big on patriotism - neither for the country of my birth, nor for the country I now live in. I just don't feel it myself and, like Samuel Johnson, am a little wary of those who claim patriotism as their motive.

So I won't be celebrating too hard tomorrow (in fact I'll most likely write the first midterm) but I'll probably manage to play a 'patriotic' song or two.
Any other suggestions for ironically patriotic songs? (Extra points if a presidential candidate has tried to co-opt them).

You know I thought I had a tenuous link to the class when I started writing this but it escapes me now.

Enjoy the holiday.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home