Monday, July 03, 2006

Exam Tips and Tricks

Mike Moser and I were talking about what we could do to help some of the people who are clearly interested in the subject matter of Bio1B and work hard, yet are dissapointed by their midterm grades. Others seem to get good grades with less effort. Some people, it seems, are just better at exams than others. So to help level the playing field I thought I'd try to compile a list of exam advice, tips, tricks, whatever you want to call them. I have focussed particularly on multiple choice exams because that's what we have in Bio1B but many of the principles apply to other types of exam.

Brett has posted the list I came up with to the Bio1B website here.

To most of you, I hope, most of these are common sense. My reason for posting here is to request your input. Any good tips and advice I'm missing? You can e-mail me direct or post a comment here. (Bio1B is NOT graded on a curve so you are not decreasing your own fitness by helping your fellow students!)

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Blogger John Latto said...

Someone must have some tips! Here's one more I was reminded of today. This is one I have to watch out for when writing questions. An easy mistake for me to make is to make the correct answer longer than the incorrect answers. I see lots of other people make this 'mistake'. It usually comes about as you add clarifications and further information to the correct answer. Incorrect answers don't usually need much clarification. I was reminded of this by question 9 in chapter 23 of Campbell 7th.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger John Latto said...

Here's another sneaky tip that won't work for my exams but might give you a slight edge in that cut-throat pre-med world:

An answer with a glaring typo is often a wrong answer. The tester may have proofread the correct answers carefully, but not the incorrect ones.

Mmmmm. Sneaky.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home