Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Purple Earth

A fun post to finish with, although if I get an electronic copy of the grade distribution I will post that. I am leaving the University tomorrow so thanks for making my last course enjoyable.

One thing I enjoy about teaching basic biology is finding out how much we don't know and constantly finding fun new hypotheses. Here's one I briefly mentioned today that relates to why plants are green and what life might look like on other planets.

You can find a brief description of the purple planet hypothesis here, the implications of this, and other research, for what life on other planets might be like is discussed here.

This time last year: We beat Turkey!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? You're leaving? Where to? Thanks for teaching this course, I've learned so much more practical things and ideas in this course than any other yet. Thank you

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger John Latto said...

Thanks. After 10 years at Berkeley and 11 consecutive summers of Bio1B my wife and I were both offered faculty jobs at UC Santa Barbara. Whilst I have enjoyed teaching at Berkeley I'm also looking forward to the new opportunities at Santa Barbara. I'll be teaching Intro Bio, Disease Ecology for non-majors and Conservation Biology for Ecology majors. I'll also be 50% time in the college of Creative studies where students do a lot of independent research. We are leaving tomorrow so I should really get back to packing.......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home