Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Calculations

One of the advantages of having a multiple choice exam is that I get abundant feedback on how many people got every question right, what proportion picked each answer etc. I was looking through the results of last years exam as preparation for writing this years and although I had always realized that people found genetic problems difficult I didn't realize the magnitude of the effect until I decided to quantify it.

If I crudely divide the questions up into three categories and calculate the average percentage of people that got questions in that category correct I get something like:

Genetic problems requiring calculations - 54%
Genetic problems requiring just logic or punnet squares etc - 73%
Everything else - 82%

Another way of looking at this is that although only perhaps ten questions fall into the first two categories the average person will lose 1/3 of the total points they lose on these ten questions alone. Hmmm.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are calculators permitted for the exam?

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger John Latto said...

Yes - but only basic ones.

I try to keep the calculations simple so they can all easily be done in your head or with paper/pencil but I allow calculators since the test is not designed to be a test of your mental arithmetic powers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home