Thursday, August 16, 2007

Sayōnara

As I may, or may not, have mentioned at the beginning of the class this was my last Berkeley class. After 10 years here, 11 Bio1B summer sessions, 14 semesters of es196, 3 semesters of IB100, 1 semester of ES10, 1 semester of ES100, four freshmen seminars and numerous other guest lectures and things I'm forgetting it is time to move on. UC Berkeley, at least in certain science departments, has a policy of having research faculty teach all classes and not employing teaching faculty except on short term contracts. That's fine, it's their university and they can make the rules. However UC Santa Barbara have offered me a tenured teaching faculty position. I will be able to develop the classes I want, have some security of employment and contribute to course and curriculum development. I'll miss Berkeley and its students but I look forward to the challenges ahead.

5 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

all the best of good luck! just hope that working in santa barbara turns out to be better and less labourious for you. :-)

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad I got to take your last class, and I really enjoyed your teaching style...best of luck at Santa Barbara!

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Secret said...

that's really too bad you're leaving. i definitely enjoyed your class more than any other science class i've taken at cal. good luck with everything

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree- this was the best science class i've taken at berkeley. i'm so disappointed that u are leaving and i can't take any other of your classes, but i'm glad i had the opportunity to take your last class! and i've encouraged all of my SantaBarbara friends to take your classes once u get there- cuz you're the best!

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a wonderful class. thank you and i am glad i got to be part of your last class. berkeley will lose a good professor

 

Post a Comment

<< Home